Monday, July 17, 2006

The Importance of Being Earnest

I am involved in a production of The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I am Algernon Moncrieff, a wicked, over-educated man who likes to eat English muffins. I am satisfied with this role beyond my capacity to say how much. I am naturally the funniest character in the play. Actually, I am not sure that is quite true, but I've got to keep my facade intact. You may ask what facade I am referring to. Until I am sure myself, I will not even attempt to tell you. I think what I mean by my facade is Algernon's personality.

The reality of the fact that I am going to attend a prestigious university in Indiana is beginning to dawn on me more and more. There is some sadness involved in this. I could not in any way be described as ecstatic. I suppose you could call me vaguely enthusiastic, but that is all. It will certainly not be excessively pleasant to forsake all my friends and family for the sake of an excellent education. I hope it will be worth it.

I am going to major in Classics, which is definitely a good thing. Perhaps I can translate Ovid's poems which he wrote in exile. Not that I really consider what I am undergoing an exile (at least not completely).

I hope to study abroad. I would really like to go to Oxford. That would be not only marvelous, but also exquisite and wonderful. Words fail me.

I await with anxious anticipation tonight's rehearsal of TIOBE. I think it will be a good one.

"A girl with no talents, no money, no beauty, and no class."--Jane Eyre: A Musical Drama
"It's seven o'clock in the morning."--ibid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home