Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Conticuere Omnes: The Beginning

My dear people:
This is the beginning of a blog of utmost proportions.
Its title, "Conticuere omnes," consists of the first two words of the second book of the Aeneid. It means, "They all fell silent together." It refers to all the Trojans and Carthaginians who were present when Dido invited Aeneas to tell the story of the fall of his city, Ilium (also known as Troy). I do not propose to tell the story of the fall of Troy, the Trojan Horse, Laocoon, or anything else exactly of that nature. Nor do I propose to force you all to fall silent together. I would, of course, like your comments (hopefully with as good grammar and spelling as my posts) to appear on my newly-founded weblog.

It (i.e. my blog) will indeed have a somewhat Classical/Roman/Greek orientation (perhaps even some Sanskrit will be involved). But since most of you are not classicists, I do not require anything of the sort. In fact I require nothing but your good will, and perhaps not even that.

I thank you for your friendship, love, camaraderie, and all-encompassing Dudeness. Pray continue to be as you are, no matter what (or who) happens.

Publius Vergilius Maro
Classicist, Author, Dramatist, Actor, Poet, Blogger, Friend, etc.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hans Georg Lundahl said...

si placet ut dudositas (anglice "dudeness") tibi recommendo meam morphologiam latinam simplificatam quuius uerba paene sunt completa (restant futuri participium, conjugatio periphrastica tam actiui quam passiui, uerba desideratiua, frequentatiua, inchoatiua, heteroclita et alias anomala, necnon themata uerbalia integra, tam conjugationum typica quam plus uel minus anomala) ut didactica forsan efficax in fratribus minoribus - si sunt - latine edocendis

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home